Thursday, 12 January 2017

TBR | Summer Edition

I’m naturally a slow reader, so I might be being incredibly ambitious with this list. Perhaps I’ve gone mad with power now that my natural reading speed has increased due to learning to read quicker for study.
But this is my no-pressure, would-be-nice summer reading list.

Required Reading 

The Shining by Stephen King // Jane Eyre by Charlotte Brontë // Hard Times by Charles Dickens // No Country for Old Men by Cormac McCarthy 

I’m getting a head start on my uni reading, hoping to read The Shining and Jane Eyre and, if I have time, it would be amazing to get Hard Times and No Country for Old Men started (but I'm not really planning on that...).
I’m studying Victorian literature and Adaptations this coming semester, and really looking forward to both! But Adaptations means I’ll be watching the movies versions of the some of the books I read, so I’m also aiming to watch The Shining while I’m still safe at home...

Reread 

A Series of Unfortunate Events by Lemony Snicket // Harry Potter by JK Rowling 

Ah, rereading! When I was younger the thought of being able to reread something seemed magical and impossible, but after seeing ads for A Series of Unfortunate Events on Instagram I felt inspired to finish the series. I only ever made it to book 4 and it’s been so long since I read them the first time that I’m rereading them before I continue on with the series. So far, it’s as fun and humorous as I remembered.

I’m also going to begin rereading the Harry Potter series, as I’ve been wanting to for a while. I probably won’t get to this during the summer, but it’ll be a good way to not get sick of Unfortunate Events by reading them all in a row and also, it’s Harry Potter.

Maybe I should also reread Lily Quench (another favourite childhood series)...

Library Finds 

Prince of Mist by Carlos Ruiz Zafón // Illuminae (The Illuminae Files #1) by Amie Kaufman & Jay Kristoff 

I really shouldn’t have picked up any library books, I only went there to collect an ice cream making book I had on request, but these two novels sounded too interesting to leave. The Prince of the Mist is a short, fantasy novel by a Spanish author, which sounded interesting and I’ve been wanting to read more translated works, so this is a start!

And I’ve seen Illuminae around a lot of bookish Instagrams and wondered what all the fuss was about. Its structure looks completely non-traditional. I’m apprehensive but curious to give this one a go.

Feminism 

I Call Myself A Feminist edited by Pepe, et. // A Room of One's Own by Virginia Woolf // We Should All Be Feminists by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie // Bad Feminist by Roxane Gay

I’m not sure which of these I’ll end up reading, but it would be nice to at least start one. I bought them all mid last year as I really want to read more about feminism and representation (which are passions of mine) and all these books sound amazing!

And that’s my summer reading list!

1 comment

  1. sounds fun & challenging - you'll probably get more read than you think you can.

    ReplyDelete

On Instagram

© Kathryn Explains It All. Made with love by The Dutch Lady Designs. Book image within header by James Simons.