Thursday, 2 February 2017

Book Review | The Red Queen By Isobelle Carmody

The Red Queen {Book 7} 

It’s rather bittersweet finishing a series you’ve been reading for ten-odd years. Surreal to finally know everything, sad to have no more pages of the characters and world you love to discover and satisfying to have finished such a mammoth book. I loved the conclusion to the Obernewtyn Chronicles, there’s a few things I’d like to discuss, but first…

SPOILER ALERT: It’s rather hard to write a review for a finale book without giving a bit away. While I won’t be talking in any great detail at all, if you’re like me, you won’t want to know ANYTHING, so please be warned from here on in

The Red Queen was enthralling and exhilarating. I really love this world and how Carmody enriches it with details of both Elspeth’s present and the Beforetime. The way she weaves all the details together is brilliant, subtly reminding you of what you’ve probably forgotten in the long wait for the book.
While it is slow in parts (especially the middle section), I didn’t mind that as you get to learn a lot through Elspeth’s thoughts and, surprisingly, I really didn’t realise the lack of dialogue most of the time.

There are, I begrudgingly admit, some flaws (there are in every book, really), mainly just little proofreading errors and with a book so big, it’s not too surprising (or annoying). I did feel it was a bit jarring when the characters fell into overly formal speech, but this is being pretty nitpicky.

The conclusion was exciting and the last 150 or so pages I could hardly stop reading for suspense and worry. I’m still unsure how I feel about the ending. It was a good ending and not what I feared, but not necessarily what I hoped either. It would have been nice to have an epilogue that gave more of an idea how things settled afterwards rather than another adventure, but I still have hope about the future left untold.

 Ultimately, the way Carmody tied everything up was clever and unexpected. I thoroughly enjoyed it.

Post a Comment

On Instagram

© Kathryn Explains It All. Made with love by The Dutch Lady Designs. Book image within header by James Simons.